Sunday, August 11, 2024

My Winter 2024 Smash Ultimate Season Recap

So I've been waiting to make this post for the PR Graphic and maybe a PR Video to published, as has been done in previous semesters. But, alas, those were never made -- well, expect a graphic Ben threw together in 2 minutes, which I just remembered, so I suppose I'll use that one, haha.

Year was wrong, but I fixed it rq, np




So Winter 2024 was my first semester back to competing after taking a break in Fall 2023. It was good to get back into it somewhat, but I definitely wasn't fully in competitive mode. Didn't make it to a crazy ton of tournaments and didn't practice that much, but it was still fun. 

Ended up #4 on the PR. Kind of sad that I didn't get spot #3, but it was warranted. I felt if I went to more tournaments, I could have overtaken AvengerSpencer, but alas, I did not.



So I went to 8 PR tournaments and then also took a trip down to Provo for a tournament, which was a lot of fun (even though I had probably the worst choke of my entire career; thinking about it still makes me cringe how bad it was).

Lost to Echo after beating him 13 times in a row, so that felt pretty bad, haha. It will probably the last tournament match we will ever play since he moved. Echo is a very respectable opponent, so me winning that many times in a row was ludicrous, but it would have felt really good to not end on a loss.

In the most important tournament of the semester, Smash Rexburg Summit, I lost game 5 to AvengerSpencer, and I lost game 5 to Spork TWICE. It was kind of brutal.

But overall, I did well throughout the semester. Echo was my worst loss, and he's number 6 on the PR. I lost twice to AvengerSpencer, and the rest of my losses were to Spork, NinJamez, and Martin. So super clean throughout the semester (which is the argument for me being above AvengerSpencer since he has a ton of more bad losses; he just has more quite a few more wins over NinJamez and Martin, which is why he was deservedly ranked above me -- I feel if I went to more stuff I could have beaten him out, but, alas, as previously stated, I did not).


Couple super good wins/feel good moments:

1. So AvengerSpencer came into the scene the semester I didn't compete, so I had never fought him before. I first time fighting, I reversed 3-0'd him, which felt really good:)


2. Beat Martin!! In the last tournament of the semester, I won the tournament over Martin, which was the first tournament in a hot minute that Martin's attended that he or NinJamez didn't win (him and NinJamez are practically tied for #1 on PR, they went back and forth). 

In our first set, he played his Roy secondary. I won 3-1. Our second set during Grands he started with Roy, but I went up 2-0. He swapped to his main, Sora, and won the next game. This wasn't the first time this had happened to me; I got up 2-1 against his Peach secondary in a different tournament, and he swapped over to Sora to win the next two games. So a reverse 3-0 was incredibly possible. But I managed to clutch out game 4 to win the tournament:)

He was playing secondaries for most of it, so it wasn't a full-throttle Martin win, but his secondaries are nothing to scoff at; he's pulled up to tournaments and won with secondaries several times.


3. Moments from Poo vs. Theo at Summit

Legendary Photo

Poo (my opponent who has his pants down) and I are playing a very intense set in Smash Rexburg Summit. I'm feeling kind of warm in my sweats, so I announce I have shorts under my sweats and proceed to take off my sweats. Poo then proceeds to stand up, announces he has shorts under his pants, and pulls his pants down. Thus leading to this legendary photo.

Also the fact that I clutched this game from that set is hilarious.

Also Poo drinking milk in-between stocks and then almost reverse 3-0'ing me is iconic.


That pretty much sums it up:) I've been home this semester, but have gone to a couple tournaments in Reno. Not sure how many tournaments I'll be going to in the fall; I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment