Sunday, September 8, 2024

August 2024: What I've Been Watching (Part 2)

This post is spoiler free for all shows/movies talked about. Feel free to check out part one here.


Steins;Gate + the OVA (which in my mind is practically episode 25)

I adore this anime. 10/10. Seriously a masterpiece. I ranked it my 4th favorite anime in my recent top 10 list, and I decided to rewatch it to see if it truly deserved that ranking. And it does. It is SO good. 

I think a big thing that makes it so wonderful to me personally is it hits perfectly/fuses perfectly probably my favorite genres/themes. It does mystery/suspense perfectly. But it also does pulling-on-my-heart-strings perfectly. And that's pulling-on-my-heart-strings in both happy and sorrowful ways.

Was it worse this watch-through because I knew pretty much everything that was going to happen? Sure. Do I wish Daru made less innuendos? Of course. But, man, I love this anime. 

And this time around, it's sticking with me. I'm continue to think about it. I find myself wanting to listen to music from it (speaking of which, the soundtrack is phenomenal). I think the previous two times I watched it, I may have been more focused on the mystery/suspense; and perhaps because I already knew those things this time around, my focus was more on the pulling-on-my-heart-strings things, but those pulling-on-my-heart-strings things continue to reside in my heart in a wonderful way.


All the Other Steins;Gate Stuff (Steins;Gate 0, the Movie, and the other mini-episode things)

Random thing I want to state because I don't want anyone messing this up: Release order is 100% the best way to watch Steins;Gate for your first time. Also, frankly, you don't even have to bother with all this extra stuff, just watching the originally series is plenty wonderful enough. I enjoyed Steins;Gate 0, the Movie, and the other mini-episode things, but I don't think they're necessary at all to the Steins;Gate experience.


Mini-episode things were cute. Glad they exist and glad I watched them, but not much more to note in the department. 7.5/10

The Movie was good, even great. It was just a little weird watching because there's debates on whether is actually canon, granted, that doesn't mean parts can't be head-canon etc., but I feel like it through-off my emotional attachment to what was happening while I watched it, if that makes sense. But I definitely enjoyed it:) 8/10


Steins;Gate 0. Really really quite good. I think I have a probably with prequels/midquels though? (Steins;Gate 0 takes place between episodes 22 and 23 of Steins;Gate) Some scenes simply did not land with me as much as they perhaps should have simply because I already knew the outcome of it all. I consistently have this problem with prequels, I find. Unless it's a totally detached prequel, that is. But if the main characters are the same in both, I find I struggle getting nearly as emotional invested.

Regardless, it was wonderful to spend more time with these characters that I love. I feel even more attached to the characters overall, which is wonderful. And even with the whole prequel thing, there were still some fantastic moments that still shined through for me. 9/10


Psych Movies 2 and 3:

Finally caught up on the Psych movies, which was great! I forgot the 3rd movie was already out when I went to watch the second, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Both were great! 8.6/10 maybe? I could try to give them different scores, but I don't want to. Think I preferred the 3rd one though?

Lots of laugh out loud moments, as you would hope for from Psych. Overall both are very clean, which I appreciated. Great character moments. Continuations of arcs that were good. Great stuff.


Mission Impossible III:

Eric was watching this, so I decided to watch it with him while playing some Balatro.

Super solid action movie! As, allegedly, all the mission impossible movies are. Felt like the twists and turns were done well. Ending was great. The characters felt realistic.

9/10 maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment