Sunday, September 1, 2024

August 2024: What I've Been Watching (Part 1)

This post is spoiler free for all shows/movies talked about.

My Recently Read/Watched/Played Etc. List is currently chock-full of animes I've grinded through over this past month. I thought I would briefly talk about them.

Update Note: After writing a lot about the four things listed below, I've decided to split this post into 2 posts (¿¿maybe 3?? Idk, we'll see). I don't want to saturate this post more than I already have, and I still have a lot to talk about (especially about how much I love Steins;Gate).


Pluto:

Pluto was inspired by/takes after/¿is? Astro Boy. I've only heard of Astro Boy before watching this, so I knew practically nothing heading into this.

The animation is phenomenal. The suspense is great. Super clean anime, which I appreciate. I definitely enjoyed it overall. 

Probably give it a 8.4/10 or somewhere around there. Will say I wasn't too fond of hour long episodes, but it wasn't awful, just a preference I have.

Runtime: 8 episodes, 1 hour each


The Last of Sheila:

Was planning on just talking about the animes I've watched, but I'll talk about the movies too.

The Last of Sheila is an older (1973) mystery whodunit.

Watched this with Eric. I liked it quite a lot! The mystery and reveal were really well done. Good twists, good ending, good stuff. I missed a couple chunks near the beginning, but got the entire second half-ish.

8.3/10 maybe? Granted, ranking movies and tv shows side by side is wonky to me -- it's hard for me to directly compare the mediums, but I'll try regardless by continuing to give things rankings.

Runtime: 2 hours


Dr. Stone:

Dr. Stone is an anime that follows an older teenager who reawakens from his petrification 3700 years after the all the humans on the entire earth mysterious got petrified. He's incredibly smart and knowledgeable and attempts to rebuild civilization with science! 

Part survival, part action, part mystery, part teaching science (most of it only being half-true science as far as I can tell (based on truth, just super simplified is my understanding))

Really enjoyed this one! Lots of fun with enjoyable characters. Am excited for the next season coming out next year. Just a comforting show.

For how much it appears to be targeting children, I wish they had less curse words and a specific character with less revealing clothes. Granted, I wish that regardless, but especially because they seem to be trying to appeal to children with certain 'teaching science' sections.

Thanks for the recommendation Elder Bailey.

8.7/10

Current Runtime: 58 episodes, 20 min each + 1 episode, 1 hour


Kaiju No. 8:

Kaiju No. 8 is just one season in, but it was fantastic. It's a Kaiju world with Kaiju destroying task forces and such. Follows a character that *minor spoilers and such*. Not even sure why I have the previous sentence if I'm not even going to elaborate, haha, but I'm leaving it.

Action is phenomenal. Animation is great. Got surprisingly attached to the characters and their arcs even in the short run time of the first season (12 episodes). Definitely some peak stuff right here. Besides a lot of Kaiju blood, it's super appropriate, which is great.

Seriously great stuff. 9.4/10, could easily go up with future seasons. (Weird/interesting thing: I rated it a 9.4/10 because that feels right, but if someone asked me to rate this a 9 or a 10 with no digit nuance and such, I would give it a 10 even though 9.4 is closer to 9. I think that's interesting.)

Thanks for the recommendation old roommate Joe (which I specify because it's not cousin Joe).

Current Runtime: 12 episodes, 20 min each.

No comments:

Post a Comment