Random quote that gives me strength when I read it

Random quote that gives me strength when I read it: “When you say, ‘I can’t! I can’t solve my problems!’ I want to thunder out, ‘Don’t you realize who you are? Haven’t you learned yet that you are a son or a daughter of Almighty God? Do you not know that there are powerful resources inherited from Him that you can call upon to give you steadiness and courage and great power?’” ~ President Boyd K. Packer

Monday, July 11, 2016

Music that I've been listening to

I haven't started listening to music until just this summer, actually. Sure I heard music that my Mom listened to and the music that was just going on in the background, but I never actually decided to plug in some music in my earbuds and listen.
A couple times my friends at school asked me what music I like to listen to. I just responded that I listen to no music, maybe a little twenty one pilots. I would rather use my ears for other things. Such as youtube videos, reading (well you don't use your ears, but if you are listening to music and reading at the same time it gets a little distracting), watching anime (anime is a whole different blog post, perhaps next time), and just, well, talking to people.
I've been listening to twenty one pilots (not bothering to cross the o's) and a little Cavetown recently. 
To start, I'm going to put all twenty one pilots in one of four categories. 1. My favorites, 2. My 2nd favorites, 3. Pretty good, 4. Good?. They are in no specific order within each category.
Now for the unnecessary notes about my list:
  • For category 4 I have a specific reason for each song, I know they're good and enjoyed by many (including me), but there is a reason why they are not in category 3 or higher (which I will explain).
  • Several of the songs have two versions. One from their album Regional at Best the other from Vessel. The Regional at Best version is the original and the Vessel version is the "remastered" version. For the songs if I don't specify that it is from Regional at Best assume it is Vessel. Even though they are slightly different (so therefore should probably be separate from one another) I'm going to group them as one song.
  • There are a lot of songs in Category 3 which I should probably split into two categories, but I'm not going to for simplicity's sake.
  • I'm going to link to each song on the song. (ex. click on Tear in My Heart and it will take you to a youtube video playing Tear in My Heart.)
  • Some songs that have there music videos have an opening (ex. Guns For Hands has a lot of silence) this is not part of the song.
  • Might have missed one or two of their songs
Category 1:
Tear in My Heart, Polarize, Not Today, Friend, Please (Friend, Please is one song, not two), A Car, a Torch, a Death (also one song, not three), Trapdoor, Semi-Automatic, Fake You Out, Guns For Hands, Trees, Forest, Glowing Eyes
Category 2:
Fairly Local, The Judge, Doubt, We Don't Believe What's on TV, Message Man, Screen, The Run and Go, Kitchen Sink, Lovely (specifically the Vessel Bonus Track, the Regional at Best version is too auto-tuned), Heathens (their most recent song. on Suicide Squad song track)
Category 3:
Car Radio, Ride, Lane Boy, Goner, Migraine, Truce, Holding On To You, Implicit Demand For Proof, Johnny Boy, Oh Ms Believer, March To the Sea, Addict With A Pen, Hometown, Fall Away, The Pantaloon, Taxi Cab, Air Catcher, Slowtown, Isle Of Flightless Bird, Anathema, Ruby, Be Concerned, Clear, House of Gold (fun fact: did my Vid Pro music video on House of Gold).
Category 4:
Stressed Out. Stressed Out is their most popular songs and so I kind of shy away from this song. Obviously it is a really good song (or else it wouldn't be super popular), and I enjoy it, but it is over played.
Heavydirtysoul. Heavydirtysoul is a good song, but for me the really fast rap at the beginning makes me feel a little uncomfortable when I'm in a group of people and it's playing. Lane Boy also has quite a bit of rap, but sense it is slower and I've memorized half of it the problem is less for Lane Boy (same applies to Migraine).
Ode to Sleep. Also has several rapping parts, although one is slower, kind of the same speed as Lane Boy. Also has the word 'whore' (lyrics: "Metaphorically I'm a whore, and that's denial number four.") which is the closest thing to a cuss word in any of their songs. (The only other 'cuss word' is in The Judge where they say 'hell' (but they're using it as the place, so it doesn't quite count (lyrics: "I know my soul's freezing. Hell's hot for good reason")) However, I would argue (argue to myself that is) that I prefer this song over many of the songs in Category 3.

I also mentioned something earlier called 'cavetown' that I've listened to a little. Cavetown is this guy (well, teenager, he's only 17) that makes music and youtube videos. I've only recently discovered him (I think, like, 7 days ago) I've only listened to his songs once or twice each. (Once for most, twice for the ones that caught my eye (ears?))
I really enjoy This is home and Devil Town. Banana Bread is pretty good too. (Well all his songs are 'pretty good', so.....) (Note: Banana Bread has a 1 minute 45 second opening that you might what to skip if you were planning on listening to it (also has a 40 second ending)) (on a different note, Banana Bread has this line that I don't understand: "it’s a little tough, to put acorn shells on ice sheets without breaking through, and flooding the whole town", any thoughts?) He also makes some pretty snazzy twenty one pilots covers. Note: a couple of his songs have cuss words ex. Hug all ur friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment