Sunday, September 22, 2024

Chess Phases (but honestly mostly side-note adventures)

So I've been playing a lot of chess over the course of these past few weeks. I've spent, if I remember correctly, a total of 38ish hours on the chess.com chess app over the course of 3 weeks.

It's been a blast, I love chess. It's also incredibly frustrating when I do something super dumb, haha.


I think it's fascinating how I go through these Chess phases. I wrote that a couple months ago. Shortly thereafter I just stopped playing. And this isn't the first time I've done that, haha. It's the second. [Explaining the joke here because I think it's funny [Side note: I think explaining jokes can sometimes be funnier than the joke itself since you get to reflect on the cleverness of the joke]: Typically when people say 'this isn't the first time I've done that' it implies that they've done it time and time again. But that's where the subversion of expectations come in and I say it's only my second time, which I think is quite rather subtly funny.]


I mean, chess is really good. And sometimes I do just get a burst of motivation to compete in a new thing, and chess sometimes becomes that thing. There's soooooo much to learn, which I enjoy doing. [I don't think that sentence makes sense grammatically, but it makes sense anyway. I feel I do that a lot. [Side note: note sure exactly why brackets feel more appropriate than parentheses in these past couple circumstances. I think it may be because I want it to be on a side-note/lower level, but the idea is separate enough from the previous sentence that parentheses don't feel right. I think this is why there's a period between as well. Typically with parentheses you'll often find I don't have a period separating them because the ideas are too connected for the period separation to make sense]]. Not sure why it ebbs and flows so suddenly, though. [I think it's kind of funny/quirky/interesting/fun that when I use so many parentheses (and in this case brackets (whoa, I just used parentheses)) and then I continue the thought as if they were never there presumably causing this tedious need to glance back and figure what on earth I was talking about before the whole side-note adventure.]

No comments:

Post a Comment