Sunday, October 6, 2024

My First Lorcana Store Championship

Went to a local Lorcana Store Championship yesterday! I had to miss the afternoon session of General Conference for it, but it's okay, I'll watch them soon.


Here's a quick recap of how the tournament went:


Played a Ruby Amethyst Bounce Control deck! I'll link my decklist here. I plan on making a couple card swaps for the next two store championships that I plan on attending this upcoming two Saturdays. I sold pretty much all my other expensive/meta-relevant cards in the other colors, so Ruby Amethyst it was! But that works out just fine because I enjoy its flexible playstyle and it's a meta-relevant deck right now.


There were 24 attendees. It was Swiss-Style for 4 rounds, and then they did a top 8 cut. The top 8 proceed into a single elimination bracket.

My Round 1 opponent was a person whose husband plays a lot of Lorcana. They play it with them, but this was actually their first tournament. They played a hyper-aggro Amber Amethyst deck. I got a couple really helpful Brawl's and Fox's that kept their aggro under control enough to win 2-0.

My Round 2 opponent was a fellow Ruby Amethyst player. Overall, did not feel super happy with how I played this match-up. Took some risks that really back fired. Maybe that was just me being unlucky, idk, but I lost game 1. I got a solid curve game 2 and just played much safer to win game 2. We didn't have time to finish game 3, so it went in as a draw.

My Round 3 opponent played an interesting aggro Amber Ruby deck. Felt like it was pretty much just worse aggro Amber Amethyst. Won with an easy 2-0. We played a friendly game after against a different deck of theirs. That deck was so goofy funny, I love it. It was a deck revolving around The Queen - Disguised Peddler.

My Round 4 opponent, I fought an opponent who was undefeated thus far. Super cool dude, we talked quite a bit while waiting after our round. He played Sapphire Ruby Control non-Sisu oriented. Sapphire Ruby is always scary, but I managed to get enough early presence game 1 and game 2 to win 2-0. Was very happy with that victory.


Which means I made top 8. As the 2 seed! Very exciting.


My Round 1 in top 8 was against a cool dude named Ryan who I lost to in a weekly back at the beginning of the year. He was also playing Sapphire Ruby Control, but he did have Sisus. We had a very very competitive set with back and forth gameplay. All came down to game 3.

I was slowly able to get some questers on board getting work in as he continues to ramp up. And then the ending of the game happened. And, well, I'll just post a screenshot of my messages I sent to my two friends Joe and Tyler after the game happened:

(Lady Tremaine and Tamatoa and Lucky Dime and Goat links for reference. Note: You need 20 lore to win)

So freakin' sad. I had it! But, alas, tcg's do be like that sometimes. Did some rough math, and it was about a 5% chance that I draw two uninkables in a row there.


Had a blast overall though! Love getting in some competitive game playing in. Super satisfying. Got 5th overall (due to my 2nd seed in the final bracket, I placed higher than the other people who lost at the same time as I did in top 8), which is definitely respectable. Excited to hopefully compete in two more store championships the upcoming two Saturdays!

This time around, I won 4 packs (all of which were garbage), a Nala Promo, and a Mirabel Promo (scroll down slightly to see the promo version). Not sure how much Mirabel Promo will sell for yet, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment