Sunday, March 19, 2017

Minority

Guess I’m leaving the board game post off for another week cause I feel like it. Anyway (or anyways, don’t really know what to put anymore after a friend said they preferred just saying ‘anyway’ when I hadn’t even really noticed that they were interchangeable (basically, interchangeable, anyway. (see there I’m pretty sure you could only use ‘anyway’ and not ‘anyways’ but maybe I’m wrong))), today’s topic is how I feel like I’m in this cool minority. Not because of my religion, or gender identity, or race or etc. etc., but instead because of what my hobbies/interests are.
I’m talking about a few specific topics being: Great grades, Anime, Board Games, Tennis, and twenty one pilots.
Obviously there many people in each of these categories individually, but having them together makes me feel as though I’m part of a select few.
Let’s start off with Board Games, for example. As the people who read this blog know, you will be very hard-pressed to find someone who knows and plays board games other than the Monopoly etc.
Same with Anime. I’ve been kind of surprised by the amount of people in my various classes who aren’t into anime. I expected more. Sure, I’ve found, like, two, which, granted, is still two more than board game players, but is still not a lot. (I’m pretty sure those 5 commas in a row are correct).
Tennis is obviously in a similar boat. Sure more people know about it, but still, not a lot of people play it, or give it the respect that I feel it deserves.
Twenty one pilots (beginning of a sentence, so I guess it’s fine to have twenty capitalized) is definitely the most known/respect/renown thing out of these, but how deep it is is still kind of obscure. A lot of people know twenty one pilots due to their smash three songs (Ride, Heathens, and, of course, Stressed Out), but how many of those people know about their other albums (AKA not Blurryface (so Vessel, Regional at Best, Self-Titled, and, if you count it, No Phun Intended)) or their hidden gems that aren’t even in an album (AKA, one of the best songs ever created Coconut Sharks In The Water  or the things they sometimes do that aren’t, you know, music (a prime example being What’s Your Story).
And of course, the final thing is having straight A’s. Which isn’t really a thing you know about or do, but more of just ‘have’. So it’s in a slightly different area, but it still applies to me, so it counts.
Anyway, point being, I know/have all of these things. A thing that I think very, very, very few other people also have.

And I feel as though there is a similar thing between them. The fact that you (referring to the general populous of the world) don’t know about them. That if you don’t like it or, at the very least, respect it, then it’s because you’re ignorant.

You don’t like board games? Well, what board games have you played? Only Monopoly, Risk, and very few others? Yea, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
You don’t like anime? Well, what anime have you watched? Only Naruto and Sword Art Online? Yea, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
You don’t like tennis? Well, have you ever played tennis? No? Yea, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
You don’t like twenty one pilots? Well, have you listened to any of their songs? Only Stressed Out, Ride, and Heathens? Yea, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Not bashing on any of those games, anime, or songs (well, except Monopoly, I’ll always bash on Monopoly) it’s just that that is a very, very small sample size of all that you could be getting. Ex. A person doesn’t like board games because they’re long and boring. They are making an opinion off the fact that Monopoly and Risk are usually long and boring (of which I tend to agree). However, they are spreading it to all board games.
The same analogy/idea could be spread to the other topics as well.
Don't feel like rereading the post again for mistakes, so I'm posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment