Sunday, January 14, 2024

I Really Want to Write a Story

I really want to write a story.

And I have this struggle because I'm afraid that other things I do get in the way of that desire which has been building in me. Because I just want to write a nice little fictional story. Don't know how long. Or almost quite literally anything else about it right now, haha. But I want to write it. And I want to share it.

On a side but definitely related note:
It's on my bucket list to publish a book someday. Or get something published in a book (ex. like a poem in a book of poems). Or something to that effect. Ever since putting that on my bucket list, I've always imagined publishing something fictional. I guess simply because that's what I want to do -- hence the whole, you know, bucket list idea. 
Although I recognize now that it may be more achievable/whatever to publish a non-fiction work about literally whatever. Maybe I'm off on that, but idk. And maybe I'll try to do that at some point; it does also excite me. But right now: Small little cute story excites me far more.


Explaining what I meant by "I'm afraid that other things I do get in the way of that desire":

1. I have the 2024 Campaign to construct. Its date grows ever nearer, which is exciting, but also daunting. I feel I have so so so much more to do for it. And part of what I have to do is story writing. But that's not the kind of story I want to write. 

2. Writing these posts. Writing these posts clearly takes time and the construction of thoughts etc. etc., just like writing a fictional story would.

Sometimes it feels like they use up my "allotted time of writing", if that makes sense. But I know fundamentally that's just not true. I can do both. 
It reminds me of the vague notion that some people feel like they can't find time to read fiction because they already read the scriptures (and/or other books written by modern-day prophets etc.) -- I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but I feel like I have. And it's just not true. You can just do both. Just because one activity involves reading doesn't mean that you can't simply have another activity that involves reading. And it's the same with writing.

Side note: I use the word 'just' a lot.

Regardless of all the various other thoughts, I do have a key takeaway I want to do:

If I feel I don't have time to or simply don't want to work on both a personal project and a blog post, I can write a blog post with some basic updates on how much progress I made on my personal project. I think it's a swell idea. I'll keep it in mind.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of Mel Robbins' 5 second rule? You just do it within the first 5 seconds of thinking about doing it. That's how I was able to write my short story Synesthesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have. I like it, thanks. I quite enjoyed Synesthesia; hopefully the 5 second rule will help me write something neat too. I've crafted some more solid ideas since I wrote this post, which I'm excited about. I'll presumably write a blog post about my updates on said short story at some point.

    ReplyDelete