Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Hilarious Moment That Has Been Building for Over 11 Years

First Piece of Background:

I don't really own a good coat, so I wear, like, 6 layers every day to class to stay warm. This is not meant as a complaint of any form. I'm quite content with it.

Second Piece of Background:

There's this classic classic old blog post of mine posted on September 26, 2012 when I was a wee 11-year-old child. Sweaters, Sweat Shirts, Jackets and Coat is its title, and it talks about just that: Sweaters, Sweat Shirts, Jackets and Coats. Which brings up the question: Why didn't I put an 's' on 'Coat' in the title? Nobody knows.

In this blog post, I make an account of the different definitions of those words and make an hilarious statement, "Now you know the definitions. So, now when our friend calls there jacket a sweater you can feel smart and correct them. (Don't be a jerk about though) Then if you come to an argument you can just come here."


Welp, the moment came.

I was at school just the other day, and my friend (who has read parts of my blog) inquires of me, "Why do you wear so many layers? Why don't you just wear a coat?"

"I do wear a coat, I just happen to wear three of them."

"I would argue that those are jackets, not coats."

"I actually have a blog post about this."

"I was actually going to bring that up."

*Laughter here and throughout the rest of the conversation*

"You've read that blog post?? Are you going to send it to me?"

"Yeah, I was actually thinking of doing that."

"You 100% should, that would honestly be a hilarious and a golden moment for me."

And they did.

And so, after 11 years, 3 months, and 14 days, I had somebody send me my own blog post and (without being a jerk about it) correct me on the definitions of coats/jackets.

Twist Ending though!

According to the definition of a coat on a blog, my so-called jackets could be considered coats! "Coat: an outer garment with sleeves, covering at least the upper part of the body: a new fur coat."

This definition is word for word what it still is today on dictionary.com, but I quite honestly prefer the definition that comes through a google search which reads, "an outer garment worn outdoors, having sleeves and typically extending below the hips." This definition leans toward the side of my jackets not being coats due to them not extending below the hips. 

Perhaps I'll have to create an updated version of my post to align with more accurate definitions. (I've actually already decided to do this because I think having a direct sequel to an 11-year-old blog post is fantastic.) I'll also have to expand there or in a separate post about how definitions generally aren't my favorite thing in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment