Sunday, March 17, 2024

Abstract Applications of Scriptures are ¿Interesting?

I think it's ¿interesting? (not quite sure the right word) when people use scriptures to almost justify their actions, but the two things aren't actually related and you could easily use other scriptures to justify the other course of action. 

I think the prime example I find is in course syllabuses. Pretty much direct quote I've seen a couple times: "Just like how we'll all be accountable for our own sins, you will be tested individually." I find this kind of silly, using the scriptures in a way to make it seem like your course is structured as God would structure it. Because you could easily pull out a different random thing from the scriptures to make your syllabus say the opposite. "Just like the Good Samaritan helped the man on the side of the road, we too must always help each other; therefore, tests will be in groups."

Just something I find interesting that I think it's probably wise to be careful of. Justifying our actions with scriptures in some abstract way that could easily be countered by the use of other scriptures used in some abstract way, if that makes sense.

Idk, obviously you want to apply principles from the scriptures to your life, and I'm not trying to say to not do that. I just think certain times people do it in not the best ways, I guess? Maybe part of it is when it affects people vs simply applying it to yourself? I'm not quite sure what exactly about it is okay/not okay. Regardless I hope what I'm trying to say is getting across.

No comments:

Post a Comment