Sunday, March 10, 2024

Lorcana Tournaments

I've been playing a lot of Lorcana recently. Lorcana is the Disney Trading Card Game.


As I referenced at some point, I've been going to weekly Lorcana tournaments for the past few weeks now. I've been to 3 constructed deck tournaments and 1 draft.


Tournament Structure:

They're hosted by our local gamestore. Entry is $10 and the prize support is 2 packs per player. Everybody gets a guaranteed 1 pack and then the rest of the packs are distributed amongst the top 3ish (depending on how many people show up). They are run using Swiss with 3 rounds.

Rundown of Each Tournament I've Been To:

Week 1:

First week we (my two roommates (Joe and Tyler) and I) all lost to Austin, who instantly became our rival. I don't remember exactly what happened outside of that, but I ended up taking 2nd winning 3 packs, I believe. I was piloting Tyler's discard deck (that link takes you to the decklist. In this case, it's not the exact deck I ran, but pretty close. The other decklist links are pretty spot on to what I ran, I'm pretty sure).

Week 2:

Second week we all brought different decks. I was piloting an Evasive Donald Duck Ruby/Steel deck. I ended up winning! Beating Austin in the process, which I was very happy about. I won 4 packs, I think.

Week 3 (Draft):

The 3rd week was a special event for the release of Set 3. We did a draft, and it was seriously such a freaking blast. Each person gets four packs. Open a pack, pick a card, pass the pack, pick a card etc. until that pack is gone. Open up another pack, so on and so forth. 

You get to keep all the cards you drafted. And then they did prize support on top of that, which was insanely awesome. 12 people showed up for the draft, which was so cool (attendance the other two weeks was 5 and 8). I won and I'm super happy about that! My roommate Joe got 2nd, which was awesome. Ended up winning 5 packs on top of the 4 that I drafted. (Entry fee was $25 for this event)

Week 4:

The 4th week was the first week of Set 3 constructed deck. I brought an alright Amber/Steel Bodyguard deck that I had been ironing out throughout the week. Ended up winning! Only 5 people were in attendance, which was sad; we were definitely hoping for more after all the new people came to the draft the week before. Won 4 packs.

Week 5:

2nd week of Set 3 constructed. Great turnout with 7. Had a lot of fun with this Emerald/Amethyst Tempo Deck. Won my first two rounds and my third round was against Tyler. Every game was super close. I barely won game one, 20 to 19 lore. Game 2 was close, but he won. Game 3 I had an awful start, but he made a couple critical misplays, which I was able to capitalize on just enough to win the tournament. I won 4 packs, one of them included a $37 card which was super hype.


Selling Cards:

I've also just started up this week selling cards on a TCGplayer account. I've spent a good chunk of money on Lorcana, and I'm hoping to make some of it back. I'll plan to eventually sell all my cards, but for now I'm just selling my most expensive ones. I've also been "hired" on by Joe to sell many of his most expensive cards ("hired": he gave me $10 worth of cards and I get to keep his profits from shipping (aka, like 20 cents every shipment)). 

It's been a lot of fun so far! We've sold to 15 different people already for a total of (after fees) $273. Definitely planning on keeping this little side hustle going on for a while.

2 comments:

  1. "We all lost to Austin, who instantly became our rival. I don't remember exactly what happened outside of that" was the best quote ever.

    ReplyDelete