Random quote that gives me strength when I read it

Random quote that gives me strength when I read it: “When you say, ‘I can’t! I can’t solve my problems!’ I want to thunder out, ‘Don’t you realize who you are? Haven’t you learned yet that you are a son or a daughter of Almighty God? Do you not know that there are powerful resources inherited from Him that you can call upon to give you steadiness and courage and great power?’” ~ President Boyd K. Packer

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Which Ferring ability? pt.2 Spiritual Metals

So I'm not going in a direct order (aka, I was originally planning on going to cognitive metals next, but not anymore). I've decided to skip around depending on how I'm feeling. I know the cognitive metals are going to be really crazy to talk about/rank and such, so I doing an easier category to write about.

Another note: I've learned feruchemical speed doesn't work quite like I thought it did. So I'll have to rewrite part of that because the new information definitely changes things.

Nicrosil (Investiture): I've studied a lot about how this one works and such. But there's no real reason to get into the fine details because most of them only matter if there are other powers in the world/if you yourself have other powers. Being a nicrosil ferring is pretty much useless if you have no other powers to play off of. You don't really store investiture; I find that misleading. You're more storing the ability to use different kinds of investiture. And since I would only have the ability to store nicrosil, I'm effectively storing the ability to store my ability. Anyway, it's a little weird and useless by itself.
Verdict: Effectively useless by itself

Aluminium (Identity): So, this one also has a lot of crazy applications, but only when applied with other powers. By itself, it's not all that great. When I store it, I lose my sense of self/I don't know who I am. When I tap it, the reverse happens. Either aren't that useful.
Verdict: Really not useful. Better than Nicrosil, though.

Duralumin (Connection): From the chart: when storing you are "reducing other people's awareness and friendship with them". "You can tap it in order to speedily form trust relationships with others." It's a weird one (as all of the spiritual metals are, pretty much). When tapping it, I feel like I might feel like I'm cheating my way into friendships. So I don't know how I feel about that. (There's obviously more to be talked about here. The topic is very similar to the ethics of using emotional allomancy on people. Breeze talks a lot about it in the original trilogy and such, and I'm sure I could give my thoughts on certain things, but I'll refrain for now). But at least it has its uses. I wouldn't feel bad at all if I tapped it while talking to someone who doesn't like me much. Compared to all of the metals, though, this won't be very high.
Verdict: Has its uses, but they aren't common and not really necessary/all that helpful.

Chromium (Luck): I saved this one for last because it's by far the most interesting and by far my favorite out of these four metals. When you store it, you become unlucky. When you tap it, you become lucky. What "luck" even means, we're not really sure, but that's one of the reasons it's so fun. One downside is whenever I would store luck, I would be kind of afraid of what could happen. We don't know how much of your life it affects. If I'm just reading a book by myself in my room and I'm storing lots of luck, how much of my outside life could be affected? Could I randomly be fired from my job? Could a robber decide to come rob our house? Any number of things could happen. So that's kind of frightening.

But I personally don't think that that much of the outside world would be influenced by me storing luck. So I think I'm pretty safe while storing luck as long as I'm not in a place where tons of unlucky things could happen to me. If I'm at an amusement park while storing luck, somebody could accidentally spill their drink on me. If I'm in my room reading a book, what could really happen? Regardless, I would probably only store low amounts of luck at a time until I figure out exactly how much of my life it affects and in what ways.

Now tapping luck. That's where things would get awesome for me. If you want a generally awesome day, maybe put on 20% luck for the whole day or something like that. I'm sure the day would turn out awesome. Tips from customers flowing in left and right. No angry customers. Maybe find a 5 dollar bill on the ground outside. Your food turns out fantastic. etc. etc. It would be great.
But, if you want something magnificent, you can tap tons and tons of your luck at once. Become incredibly lucky for a few seconds. It would be fun just to see what happens.
Or, perhaps you're in a really dangerous scenario. A rouge car serves into your lane. You tap tons of luck. I don't know exactly what would happen, but it would be fantastical.
Verdict: Could be crazy awesome, but I am also a little scared of what could happen while I'm storing luck.

Okay for the ranking of this section of metals (the results are fairly obvious):
1. Chromium         Really really interesting and cool. It would be kind of like opening a present in the "I wonder what's going to happen when I tap luck" sort of way. Could be kind of scary, though.
2. Duralumin         Some uses. Could be cool to have.
3. Aluminium        Some very minor applications. At least I get a power to play with instead of having nothing like Nicrosil.
4. Nicrosil        Next to no use.

4 comments:

  1. From what I have assumed with tapping Chromium, ah I forgot, it was a quote from Oathbringer... Odium says something to Taravangian about the diagram, "it's so incredible, you did this without access to fortune?" Link to Fortune: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Fortune So I imagine that when you tap into "luck" or "fortune" you are seeing part of the future, like burning atium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, interesting. I knew Fortune was a thing, but didn't know much about it. I knew that it existed because chromium in hemalurgy steals Fortune. Which made me think that Fortune and luck would be two different things, but the coppermind is making me think otherwise. Weird. Regardless, since we barely know anything about Fortune, I'll just keep going with the luck idea.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait until you talk about bendalloy! (Which is what ferring ability I would pick.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if bendalloy was still your pick! I remember you mentioning it forever ago when we were Christmas Caroling and talking about allomancy/feruchemy

      Delete