Sunday, November 26, 2017

Writing (other than blog posts (aka stories))

I actually titled this post before I started writing! That's new. I just hope it goes in that direction; I don't see why it wouldn't since literally the next sentence I planned out in my head is on topic.

I feel kind of inadequate trying to write a story. It's weird. I know that I'm, in theory, good at writing, but I feel like I should do so much before I simply start writing something. Listen to Writing Excuses, for example. There's so much useful stuff there. But it's such a big block. How much should I listen to it before I'm suddenly 'prepared'? etc.
Or, another thing that I should probably totally do, but idk, is, you know, actually think out the story. Make plot points. Think about character development. More fully flesh out the magic system. Come up with random scenes and make an outline for them. Outline everything.
But even though I kind of want to do all of that, I don't want to do any of it.
Hm. Maybe. It might just be more of a time commitment issue. I want to do so much; I have to cut out some stuff.
Do I want to have writing in my future at all? I mean, I think the answer is yes, but what does that entail? Do I just go off on my normal major/career choice (whatever that may be) and just write stuff off on the side? Try to publish something randomly? Even though my career has nothing to do with English (probably)? It doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. If I enjoy writing, then why not, I guess.
Although the funny thing is I'm not fully sure if I do enjoy writing. I'm assuming I do. It's always interested me. I don't see why it wouldn't. But I've never actually done it. The most I've ever written on a story is a couple pages. Do I just enjoy coming up with stories/characters/worlds/magic systems/whatever, but not the actual process of making that into a comprehensive, interesting, compelling story? Idk. That's something I'll just have to figure out, I suppose.

Figuring out stuff as you write is totally a thing, though. I don't necessarily have to think out everything. Knowing me, it might work better if I do, but maybe not. You just write to discover. What's going to happen in this world? Is this going to happen or that? I don't know, because I haven't written it yet. Perhaps you stumble along and suddenly you realize that one of your main characters has to die. Welp. That sucks for you. But that's what's going to happen.
I mean, if you stick with the whole idea, that is. At that point in the book you've probably already come up with stuffs, so you could probably just go and change a few things so your precious character doesn't die, but.

Anyway. So yeah. I want to write. I've started something earlier today. Wrote it while in the hot tub, eating a bowl of ice cream (thanks for the idea, again, person that I'm referring to). Main character was born with slick white hair, which I connected to magic prophecies etc. because I felt like it. Obviously I could talk more about it, but I don't want to, so.

((You know, I used to run my posts through grammarly and check them bunches, but recently I haven't been, so, yeah. Just a random note.))

No comments:

Post a Comment