Sunday, April 15, 2018

Scout Camp Report pt. 2

So, I didn't have time to finish (or even start) that blog post. I didn't even have time to check if I could play Splatoon 2. It was a busy week at Skills. As I said previously, I'll make a post about it sometime in the near future.

Anyway, 2nd major part of Scout Camp:

Golden Free Trapper:
The previous year I got the Free Trapper, which means that this year I could get the Golden Free Trapper. The Golden Free Trapper is quite a bit more difficult. It has several requirements, just like the Free Trapper.
(Let's see if I can remember them all)
1. Earn Free Trapper in a previous year. I did so.
2. Learn and make some char cloth. This one was pretty simple. I just showed up to a class type thing. Chandler (a super chill dude who earned the Golden Free Trapper with me) also showed up. We learned and did so. It involves cloth and a can with a small hole. You put it in the fire for a long period of time and I might be missing a couple steps in between, but magic happens and you get char cloth. *party popper emoji*
3. Start 3 out of 5 (it might have been 4, but 5 sounds more correct) fires with flint and steel in under 30 seconds each. I'll try to explain out in case that didn't make sense: Each time you try the challenge (which you can do as much as you want), you get 5 attempts. During 3 (or more) of those 5 attempts you must start a fire with the flint and steel (and char cloth. Char cloth is incredibly useful for starting fires) in under 30 seconds. That probably makes sense. This took a while, but once you try it enough you eventually get it without too much difficulty (well, for a person who has had experience with it. It's obviously really difficult if you haven't done it a lot).
The two hardest ones:
4. Stick 25 tomahawks in a row
5. Either split a bullet on an ax head, or split a card with a bullet (I chose to split the bullet on the ax head)
I couldn't get these for the life of me. It was the last day to do these two things, and I was struggling. I had all but given up. Chandler and I were up at the rifle range trying (and failing) again and again at trying to split the bullet. Eventually I decided I would go down and try my hand at tomahawks.
The previous day I had gotten around 21 or so, but couldn't quite get up to the 25 necessary. This time the person manning the tomahawk range told me to just not count at all. Forget about what number I was at entirely. Just keep throwing the tomahawks. He would count for me and tell me when I had hit 25. Once I started doing that, I quickly got 25.
I ran all the way back up to the rifle range. Chandler was still there trying to split the bullet. We celebrated my victory over the tomahawks (he had accomplished it the previous day). It was a guy's turn, then a girl's turn, then my turn, then Chandler's turn, then another random guy's turn. The first guy shot and split the bullet. Everyone was cheering. (Clarification note real quick: Chandler and I were the only youth (well, technically Chandler was an adult at age 18, but), the rest there were adults trying to split the bullet for fun). He said he figured out the secret. You had to shoot slightly to the right of the ax head. Just a smidgen. The girl went up. Split the bullet. I go up. Split the bullet. Chandler goes up. Splits the bullet. The guy after him also split the bullet. Everyone was cheering whole bunches. 5 of us split a bullet right in a row and it was crazy awesome.
Later on in the day during the Seneca Run, I missed the target at the rifle range, like I mentioned. It was at least 10x-15x times thicker than the ax head, so that was ironic that I could hit an ax head, but later missed the much bigger target.

Anyway, yeah, that was the other major thing that happened at Scout Camp. Didn't have enough time this year to get on the archery board thingy like last year, but that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment