Random quote that gives me strength when I read it

Random quote that gives me strength when I read it: “When you say, ‘I can’t! I can’t solve my problems!’ I want to thunder out, ‘Don’t you realize who you are? Haven’t you learned yet that you are a son or a daughter of Almighty God? Do you not know that there are powerful resources inherited from Him that you can call upon to give you steadiness and courage and great power?’” ~ President Boyd K. Packer

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Why I Hate the Question "How are you?"

NYLT Writings Pt. 4

Have I told you guys about why I hate the question "How are you?" 85% of the time? There's no point to it. You might as well have said "Marco" and then "polo" (I stole that from a video somewhere). The other 15%, in my mind
4
comprises of 10% an actual decent conversation starter where the person that is being asked is willing/comfortable/isn't the type of person to freeze in conversation and can instantly start talking about reasons why they're good. Such as things they did on the weekend etc. But some of the time even then other questions would be more effective. Such as "What did you do on your weekend?" or something else.
The other 5% is when the question actually means something. When you're in a personal conversation with someone and they're gueinally asking about the person's mental health/mental state.
It reminds me of a comic strip that went something like this:
*Psychologist and patient (named, idk, let's say John) outside of psychologist's room*
Psychologist: "How are you doing, John?"
John: "Good."
*Psychologist and John walk into the psychologist's room*
Psychologist: "How are you doing, John?"
John: "I've been doing really bad, man."
I'm sure I could talk more about any of these topics, but I'm not writing this all at the same time, so I lose my train of thought, so I just move on. I might add to stuff in post, though (and I'll distinguish that in some way).



Edit: I know I could talk a lot more about this subject. I may or may not sometime in the unknown future. For example: I forgot to mention how the most common response "Good" isn't even proper grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment